At the Refuge
- Shared temporary, secure refuge accommodation
- 24-hour CCTV and on-call staff
- A confidential service
- Emotional and practical support
- Professional counselling
- Advice guidance and information
- Key worker system and service user led support planning
- Advocate with external agencies
- Access to community projects and empowerment sessions
- Group work and craft opportunities
- Tailored support to women whether they decide to return to their partner with appropriate safety planning and consultation with key agencies or settle independently
- Professional and friendly staff, proficient in Urdu, Punjabi, Gujarati, Bengali & English
- Variety of educational and life skill sessions
- Resettlement programme
- Outreach support for those resettled locally
- Volunteering opportunities.
Education activities include
- Positive parenting
- Confidence building
- Basic English / Numeracy and IT skills
- Health awareness
- Life Skills
- Therapeutic sessions
- Educational excursions
- Various types of craft sessions.
We work with varied partners to be able to further our mission.
Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council
Idle Women – continued partnership working holistic therapy work including herbal course
Blackburn with Darwen – Adult learning course talk English and sewing
Imkaan Network – closer working relationship with the northern group and looking forward to partnership working and sharing resources around training and research.
Women’s Aid pilot – change that lasts voices element,
- No woman turned away research – services and users took part
- Ask me ambassadors facilitated training for 2 cohorts
Learning Curve – delivery of accredited courses started but due to COVID has been on hold.
Blackburn Community CVS – employability skills programme delivered in the year
Northern Consortia – 5 “by and for” BME services form part of the Northern Consortia. (Angelou Centre, Apna Haq, Humraaz, Rochdale Womens Welfare and Saheli) the consortia have been successful with funding from Comic Relief for “The Positive Change Partnership”. Each organisation have recruited a full time Sexual Violence Advocate to work with women and girls.
Our Donors, Funders and Supporters
- British Zakat Board
- Kids Out
- Circus Starr CIC
- Soroptimists Blackburn
- Youth Action
- Lancashire Federation of Women’s Institute
- Andy Schofield – Holy Trinity
- Benefit Mankind
- Food for Thought
- All men and women who have donated essential items, food and cash.